`We all want the best for our children. And we are fortunate that Ledbury provides them with a stimulating learning environment and supportive teachers. But we believe Ledbury can be even better; that our children would benefit from resources that enrich and expand their educational opportunities.
By way of background, Ledbury Park E&MS was allotted approx. $90,000 in funding from the TDSB this year and while this year has seen a tremendous amount of spending by the school on new resources, given that a full 35% of the school’s annual budget is taken up by its administrative/office expenses, financial support by SAC is critical to helping fill the funding gap between what our students and teachers need and the school’s financial resources allow for.
While its no secret that the TDSB can be a slow-moving, administrative challenge at times, one thing that is certain is that the greatest, most immediate impact you can have in improving your child’s education at Ledbury is through your financial support of SAC. As we have seen through SAC’s spearheading/financing of the Playscape, the A&V Equipment, the Library Renewal, the new Computer Lab and the soon to be under construction, Track & Field, when the Ledbury community comes together, remarkable achievements can be attained.
Our current BELIEVE campaign will be focused on raising funds for the following:
- Technology Resources. Students need access to technology in their classrooms and Principal Friberg is making the purchase of laptops, desktops, Chromebooks and tablets a budget priority for the next several years. While the new Computer Lab is great, our goal must to put technology in the hands of every student on a daily basis, so SAC’s long-term goal is to raise $50,000 to accelerate technology acquisition.
- Middle School Resources. While we have made tremendous improvements to our JK-6 grades over the past years, our Grade 7 & 8 students are at risk of being left behind. Our Middle School is in serious need of significant improvement, including badly need increases in STEM resources, motivational speakers, in-school workshops, and excursions geared at enhancing team building skills. SAC’s goal is to raise $25,000.
- Leveled Readers. Leveled reading gives students the ability to develop reading skills at their own pace. The school’s current inventory is inadequate – not only do we have too few books, the books we do have are outdated and in poor condition. Our long-term goal is to raise $25,000.
- Library Redesign Phase III. Phase III includes the purchase new fixtures/shelving and A/V Equipment. The estimated cost for Phase III is approx. $25,000
Donations over $25 will receive a Tax Receipt and all donations will be recognized on our BELIEVE tree at the entrance to school.
As you can see, the BELIEVE campaign will need to raise $125,000 to fund all the initiatives. We can’t do that without the commitment of the entire community. It’s up to EVERY PARENT to make this happen for our children and history has shown over the past few years that the Ledbury community can come together to make significant improvements to our school. Here are some examples:
- Smart Boards to ensure there’s enough for every class in the school
- Stage Lighting so that our plays and events could look much better
- Team Sports Uniforms
An unbelievable (and safe!) Playscape where our kids have been spending recess, before and after school, weekends and the summer playing, climbing, swinging and having a great time.
- 1,500 new books for our school library!
- A brand new computer lab equipped with 32 desktops with monitors, 6 notebooks, and 5 printers
- The entire Library was re-carpeted
2016/2017: $76,000 and counting….
- Complete transformation of our Library into a Learning Commons is underway: new furniture, fixtures, books and painting
- 19 Chromebooks, 25 iPads and 16 Laptops purchased
- 10 mBots Robots
- Tetrix Robotics
- Funding for All Star Slam Poetry Presentation (Gr. 6 – 8)
- Funding for a Girls Summit ½ Day Event (Gr. 5 – 8) and a Gumboots Event (Gr. 7 – 8)
- $1,500 in subsidies for the Gr 7 & 8 Sudbury Trip
- $4,000 in subsidies for the Gr8 Graduation Trip
- $12,000 of New Books
EVERY DONATION COUNTS, NO MATTER THE AMOUNT!